Wednesday, September 28, 2016

TWO WEEKS - ORTEGUN SHOOTING

Episode 21

“Posh? Posh?” Wayne and Gregory took turns calling their friend as they stood outside her apartment door.
“Get out!” She sounded crying from inside the house.
“Posh please? It’s us. Your friends. Please open the door and we can help you. Please?” Wayne asked.
“I don’t need your help!” Posh cried. “Get out! Go away!”
Wayne sighed.
Greg took the floor and said, “Posh please? No one knows yet, about what happened to Mike. We want to talk to you first.”
“I killed him. I killed him!” Posh cried.
Wayne banged the door. “Posh. You have not killed him.”
“I know that I killed Mike. Stop lying that I didn’t. Now, I deserve to die.”
“No, no. Posh!” Wayne shouted, bursting the door open.
He and Gregory panted, staring at Posh with their eyes popped out.
She was struggling with a bed sheet tied around her neck and her legs hanging in the air above a turned over stool. The sheet wrapping her neck was connected to a still fan on the ceiling board of her living room.
“Posh!” Wayne cried, running hastily to grab her body and leveling her in the air.
She coughed, crying and breathing heavily.
Gregory straightened the stool and climbed it, helping to loose the sheet around Posh’s neck.
“You don’t have to do this, Posh.” Wayne told Posh, maneuvering her to a long sofa behind them.
“No.” Posh disagreed between coughs. “I’m a murderer and I killed… I killed Mike.”
Gregory joined them. “He is not dead, Posh. And neither is he going to die.”
“Take in a deep breath, please?” Wayne asked her.
She shook her head, crying. “I don’t want to live. I don’t, I don’t deserve it.”
“Don’t say that Posh.” Greg requested her. “Everyone deserves a chance to live. You do too and we are here for you. More than that, God is here for you.”
Wayne nodded to that, taking Posh’s hands. “God loves you Posh. And he has given you a chance to live again.”
She increased crying. “But, I killed him, Wayne. God isn’t going to love me. Everyone will hate me. The police are going to come after me and I will go to jail.”
“You’re not going to jail.” Wayne told him with unimaginable certainty.
She shook her head. “You don’t understand. I left the gun in Mike’s place. When the Police take the prints, they are going to come after me.”
Wayne narrowed his eyes at her statement. He did not know if he was ready to address it until Gregory did.
“The gun? It was in Mike’s hand when I arrived.” Gregory said.
She turned to him. “I just dropped it on the floor. There, inside his room. I left so quickly and left the door open. The police would have easily found him.”
Now Wayne was alert. “The door was locked. And, Mike was lying at the threshold of his corridor when I arrived. He had the gun in his hand.”
“Wait. The door was locked from the inside or the outside?” Gregory asked Wayne.
“Inside.” He replied.
Posh sighed. “I don’t understand.” She confessed.
“I think I do.” Wayne said. His lawyer instincts were now working effectively. “After you left, it is possible that, Mike dragged himself with your gun to the exit and locked the door. He wanted to make it look like a suicide though, vainly because, the wound was on his shoulder. He was probably on the way to terminate the last evidence that would be the video when, he lost strength and fell between his living room and corridor.” He said, leaving the others puzzled.
“He wanted to protect you.” Gregory concluded.
Posh was speechless. She was not sure of what to think.
“You have the phone?” Gregory asked him.
“Yes.” Wayne agreed and slightly pay his coat pocket. “But, we cannot stay with this information for long. If things get more untidy and it get into the hands of the police, we will all be apprehended for concealing vital information that could help with the case. We have authority over this video and Mike’s phone so long as,” he turned to Posh. “We are your legal representatives.”
She did not agree. “Wayne. I don’t think that, I want to go on. I don’t deserve your help or Mike’s concern. I am a murderer.”
“You are not. Everybody on this earth makes mistakes. You deserve a second chance. Mike is going to live and I am sure that, he will also be on your side.” Wayne comforted her.
She sighed deeply and remained silent in heavy thoughts.
“Posh. There is nothing that, God can’t fix. Even this situation. Believe it.” He added.
She glanced at Wayne once. “You think that… I’m… but, I’m a bad person.”
“We all are. But, Jesus died on the cross for us to take away all our sins. If you accept him, Posh and entrust him even with this matter, he is going to fix everything in a way that you will be so amazed.” Wayne assured her.
“Jesus changed our lives, Posh. He is also able to change yours.” Gregory added, standing behind Wayne, at the sofa.
She broke into a cry. “My life is a mess. I’ve never been good at anything than messing up.”
“So have I been, Posh.” Wayne told her. “But, with God, there’s a chance of recovery and living the best life no matter who you were.”
She squeezed her eyes shut, listening to her heart. For the first time, she was willing to accept the Word of God. She opened her eyes, taking a deep breath and nodded strongly. “Alright.”
Wayne smiled a bit and said. “Please, repeat after me. Dear father?”
“Dear father.” She cried, with her eyes closed.
“Thank you because you love me.”
“Thank you because you love me.”
“Thank you for sending your only son Jesus who died on the cross for me.”
“Thank you for," she sniffed, "for sending your only son Jesus who died on the cross for me.”
“I pray that his blood wash away all of my sins.”
“I pray that his blood wash away all of my sins.”
“I accept Jesus Christ into my life.”
“I accept Jesus Christ into my life.”
“And I pray that, his peace fill my heart.”
“And I pray that, his peace fill my heart.” She repeated and exhaled. She felt relieved to unleash a burden from her heart.
“Thank you Jesus.”
“Thank you Jesus.” She said and reopened her eyes.
Wayne smiled at her. “Now. Remember that, it is God who will be taking care of your matter. Don’t think about it. Since we have the last evidence, if at all the police comes to anyone, it will be after me or Greg, who were the first to find Mike shot in his apartment.” And he returned to her, her shoe.
“What do I do?” She asked afterward, calmer now.
“Stay here.” Wayne told her and twisted his head to glance at Greg and then back at Posh. “We are going to check out how Mike is and talk to Mr. Hurts.”
“Remember, Posh. Everything is going to be fine. More because, Mike wants to keep you safe. If he recovers soon, it will be good for all of us.” Gregory added.
Posh took in a deep breath and nodded.
“Wayne. Will you give me a minute?” Gregory asked.
Wayne turned to him and rose. They drew to a corner of the room while Posh crossed her arms below her chest, thinking about her life.
She wondered if Jesus would make her organized and composed like how Wayne and Gregory turned out to be.

                                                                              #

At the corner, Greg told Wayne, “do you think that, we can just leave her on her own after she just made an attempt on her life?”
Wayne was silent for a while. He realized that, he could not trust that. “What are we going to do? I don’t think that, she would be comfortable wandering with us.”
“No but, maybe we should get somebody to stay with her.”
“Who?” Wayne wondered aloud.
“Vicky” Gregory replied. “She is a good girl and well, she has a good side. She can help to clear Posh off her worries and even tell her more about God. Vicky knows how to do it.”
Wayne nodded. “Yes. You are right.”
“Do you have her number?” Gregory asked.
Wayne shook his head. “No but, I can call the apartment.”
“Do that.” Gregory told him.

Meanwhile in Mr. Hurts’ office, Mr. Hurts rounded his desk and stood in front of his seat. “Yes. What is it about?” He asked Vicky who stood at the other side of the desk.
She extended the blue file down to the desk. “This is Wayne… Astrophe’s assignment.”
Mr. Hurts frowned. “Get out of my office!”
She sighed. “Sir. He has a terrible problem.”
“Miss…”
“Victoria.” She helped.
“Whatever you call yourself! I am not accepting anymore lies or excuses from Astrophe Harts. Get out of my office, now!”
“His friend was shot!” She burst and covered her mouth afterward, she did not know where that came from.
Mr. Hurts’ eyes widened.
Though Vicky tried to stop herself, she could not help it. “A class member of yours, named Mike. Astrophe needs your help and if you don’t intervene, class 100 will be tarnished because the whole incident involves your class.” She said and paused, feeling terrorized by the words she said.
Mr. Hurts stared shockingly at Vicky.
Immediately, the door opened and Mary appeared.
Vicky turned to her along with Mr. Hurts.
“Sorry professor but, there was a shooting in the East Circuit. One named Mike Reeds, he belongs to your class, was shot and they took him to the hospital outside campus.” Mary reported.
Vicky gulped. How could she have known that?
Mr. Hurts turned to Vicky. “Thank you young lady.” He said and faced Mary. “Please consult the Dean's office. Find out if they are informed and ask them to remain confident. We cannot afford a public unrest.”
Mary nodded and left quickly.
Mr. Hurts glanced at Vicky. “Did Astrophe tell you who shot Mike or, did he do it himself?”
She shook her head. “I don’t know.”
He rounded his desk, about to leave. “Okay. I’m going to take care of this.” He said and added. “Thank you. You can leave.”
She thanked him and left.

                                                                              #

“There is no one answering.” Wayne announced.
“So, what now?” Greg asked.
Wayne took some time, pondering over the situation. “I don’t know. We have to take the risk?” He asked.
“We have to go look for her.” Greg suggested.
“Let’s do this. Stay behind. I’ll fetch Vicky and see if I can get in touch with Mr. Hurts.”
He nodded but, he got a thought afterward. “Or, we can also call Miley.”
“Isn’t she in class or something?”
“I doubt that, there would be any class after what happened. First, we, who were supposed to present, are missing and then, our fellow member was shot.”
Wayne agreed with a nod. “Yeah. Call her in.”
Greg took out his cellphone and drew to a corner.
Wayne turned to Posh to share with her more comforting words.
After a few minutes over the phone with Miley, Greg returned back to the two and said, “she’ll be here shortly.”
Wayne nodded to him and rose. “So, we’ll leave you with Miley so you won’t have to be alone.”
She smiled a little. “Thank you.”
“Oh and,” Gregory begun and went behind the sofa to whisper in Posh’s ear. “Will you please convince her for me, to marry me?”
Posh giggled. For a moment, she had drawn apart from her sorrow.
Wayne wondered what Greg had told her.
Greg stretched his back and said to Wayne, “so, we can leave.”
“Alright.” Wayne agreed and rose from the sofa to leave the apartment.
He thanked God for winning one soul for Christ and requested for his presence in their impending journey.

                                                                              #

what happened next? stay tuned to find out.
#twoweekstory

No comments:

Post a Comment